What's Your Skin Type?
A normal skin type means you have balanced sebum production and good blood circulation. Your skin is neither too oily or too dry.
Smooth texture | Fine pores | Not sensitive | Little to no breakouts
• Stay hydrated - drinking a lot of water can prevent dry, flaky skin
• Wear sunscreen daily
• Continue to moisturize
• Always remove makeup before sleeping
The main characteristic of oily skin is a greasy appearance. This skin type is the most prone to breakouts and blemishes due to the excess production of sebum.
Greasy appearance | Large/open pores | Prone to breakouts
• Be aware of hormonal changes
• Don't over-exfoliate or use harsh soaps
• Wash your face twice a day
• Use oil free makeup products (non-comedogenic)
• Moisturize - try a lightweight, oil free moisturizer to reduce the greasy feel
Dry skin will have a rough, flaky texture and sometimes feel tight and irritated.
Rough/flaky skin | Uneven texture | Feels tight | Itchy
• Moisturize often and drink a lot of water to stay hydrated
• Cold, dry seasons/climates can worsen or cause dry skin
• Gently pat your skin dry instead of rubbing/wiping
• Use a humidifier to retain moisture
You may have sensitive skin if you feel like your skin is constantly changing, whether that be from oily to dry, red and blotchy to clear, irritated to smooth, etc.
Reacts intensely to products | Becomes red after contact with hot water | Oily in the summer and dry in the winter | Itchy/irritated when wearing tight clothing
• Always do a patch test before introducing new products to your skincare routine (use a small amount of product on your hand and wait 24 hours to see if it reacts)
• Keep your skincare routine to a minimum - try only using a cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen
• Stay away from harsh ingredients and be mindful of what products are made of
The combination skin type is when you have a mixture of both dry and oily skin. Commonly with combination skin, your T-zone will be oily while your cheeks will be dry.
Oily skin around the forehead, nose and chin | Dry, flaky, sensitive skin on the cheeks
• Use a gentle cleanser
• Gently exfoliate 2-3 times per week
• Use different products for your dry and oily zones